Thursday, February 14, 2019

# 1 - Write to Write

WRITE TO WRITE


In order to write, you've got to write. I'm the worst at getting distracted by loads of research, extensive character development, timelines, and the like.

Life can get in the way of the need or urge to write...household chores, family obligations, social media addiction, and stress can hinder the flow of creativity, but don't give up. Sit down, prep your blank page, then start writing. Treat yourself like a professional, one who wears comfy clothes in the home-office.

You don't have to write like Hemingway or Grisham - write like you, not them. We might write similar stories, but I guarantee, there's no one else like you, so your perspective and your voice that comes through your writing is unique and new. Don't worry about coming up with a fascinating plot with twists and turns, just write to write. Write what you know, and get comfortable with the process, then you can embellish the story later with wowza elements.

One of the ways I maintain focus for both the active storyline and for incoming ideas is to write the broad story and when inspiration hits or an idea for a future chapter comes or a tiny element should be expanded later as an important part of the story, I scroll to the bottom of the page to add details I'll add later. Along the way, details come to me, and if I can't work them into the story at that point, I'll scroll down and make note of them so I won't forget.

The bottom of my working manuscript/document can grow into a significant supplement, sometimes with dialogue suggestions that end up in another chapter or a different storyline. I cut and paste that bonus material into a new document for story references and crucial details. You can save the supplement, then print it to refer to as you continue writing, making sure you cover your points. In the meantime, you'll be creating a new set of ideas as your story progresses, and the cycle continues. Remember to remove the extraneous material before submitting a manuscript or publishing your story!

In this way, you won't write in a linear fashion because you're writing to write...you're putting down your ideas. some for now and some for later. Go with the flow...nurture your creativity, don't put a plug in new ideas or put it on hold, instead, scroll down and record the extra ideas at the bottom of your document, then keep moving forward.

I also buy a few inexpensive spiral notebooks to keep on hand. When I begin working on a new manuscript, I'll assign one for important notes about the storyline, characters, setting, timeline, and other details that need to be recorded. I might use scotch-tape to stick a few magazine pictures to the pages, then I'll have in front of me a helpful writing tool, with visuals.When writing, I thumb through the pictures then describe the scenes or the people in the pictures in my writing.

This is another way for me to grow the story and enliven characters so I can relay important details to the reader. You can draw a mustache on a picture, or draw in arched eyebrows, a beauty-mark, curls of hair falling on the forehead or whatever sets your character apart. Pictures can definitely help the writing process. The spiral also provides a central location for data related to your current story structure, and you can opt to review the notes at any time. The notebook is especially helpful when I'm doing something that isn't electronic-friendly or for the times I'm burnt out by electronics. The pockets of the spiral can hold chapter print-outs as you edit, and can hold your character description forms that you're completing for each character in the story. The spiral can end up like a mini-story-Encyclopedia...the key to secrets and explanations could be resting within its pages.

Regardless, whether on paper or on the computer, I write to write. The story doesn't develop unless I sit, focus. and write one word, then another and another.

After I write to write, then I eat to eat. Life is grand.



Visit and follow my Amazon Author Page:
amazon.com/author/LanaBlack 

Visit my Facebook Group - we're just getting started, so it's the perfect time to get in at ground level!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LanaRBlack/

And of course, you can write down this blog address for future visits:
https://LanaRBlack-Author.blogspot.com

I appreciate constructive feedback sent to my email:
Author@LanaRBlack.com

I love hearing from my readers, and I keep in touch with them, so please give constructive feedback My friends, keep reading and writing...have a wonderful day!

Lana R. Black - Author



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lana reads all comments. Thank you for letting her know you visited!