Thursday, February 14, 2019

# 2 Little Horrors and a Wrap-Around Porch

Wrap-around porches have their pros and cons. For us, we enjoy sitting outside for lunch, and I often take my laptop or notebook to the table for peaceful inspiration. The view and the fresh air make it worthwhile.

The cons to a wrap-around porch are few, but wasps, spiders, and other creepy crawlers are part of the outdoor deal, so we must be diligent. Living in the forest also requires keeping the porch clear of clutter so visibility gives us an edge to watch for snakes. Last Spring, we found a copperhead had made its way onto the deck, hiding behind a few boards that sat waiting to play their role in the never-ending construction of our home. That day, we cleared the porch of its neatly stacked boards.

Putting wood protector on the decking.

I must say that the wrap-around porch helps to chase away the blues...it pushes away the cabin-fever that can sneak up in a slow and eroding manner. The cold weather and rainy days force us indoors more often during winter months, so we strive to take advantage of every good-weathered day, so it's a good time to promote Surviving the Threshold (this link will take you to the start of the eBook's Chapter 1).

Maybe it was due to the cold weather, but as a writer, there are times when your own creativity surprises you, and the series I'm now tackling surprised me. A lively conversation among friends a while back prompted a different storyline concept, and I worked it into my writing schedule while also finishing larger projects in the historical fiction and romance combo genre.

My focus remains on character-driven stories, but the inspired departure found me writing a series of stories that explore the life of an everyday teenager as she and her family move to a house where something scary lurks in the odd room at the center of the house. We journey with the main character, Shelby, as she enjoys a regular life, yet everything changes after she's forced to confront an unusual and inexplicable threat in her own home.

The story incorporates a supernatural element, and this is where I encounter humor as I write...cold weather traps me indoors, it gets darker earlier, especially in the forest, and as I sit writing scary scenes, I get spooked. In those moments, after getting skittish and jumping at the slightest noise, I have to laugh at myself. 

It's always a riot to freak yourself out while writing.

I write fiction, but this series follows and expands upon a lesson I learned early in life...so many people have experienced one or more strange incidents in their life, moments that cannot be explained. Often, people do not speak of such occurrences because they have trouble absorbing the details or they question their own eyes and mind, leaving them to wonder if they misread reality. So many people opt to push aside uncomfortable little horrors.

Something as simple as a door closing on its own, a house creaking, or lights blinking can prompt us to wonder if spiritual energy is pulling a few strings behind the scenes. And then, there are those who see unnatural shadows...

While writing, I yearn for a consistent return to bright, sunny days with bearable temperatures so I can enjoy writing outdoors from my wrap-around porch more often.


If you can deal with some scary moments that build Shelby's faith, strength, and character, then check out the book.

An Amazon Kindle is NOT required to read the eBook...you can read it on whatever electronic you're using right now to read it. Most Android, Smart Devices or Apple devices have an ap preloaded for eBooks, but you can go to an Ap Store and get the Kindle ap for FREE. The Kindle ap keeps your eBook collection in a neat library, and there are very cool features that you can utilize as your read, such as bookmarks with one tap of the screen, the ability to take notes on a given page or to highlight passages. Once you order the eBook, Amazon will send it to you, and presto...you're reading within a couple of minutes.

Let me know which parts of the book strike you with the most interest. I'm always eager to hear constructive feedback from my readers. You're the reason I write.


I'll post a blog with a link to the second book in this series, soon.

Let me know what spooky things you've encountered...I read blog comments and look forward to being blog buddies! Until next time...

Visit the Amazon link below and follow my Amazon author page:
amazon.com/author/LanaBlack 


And here's another link to Surviving the Threshold, Book 1:
Surviving the Threshold.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lana reads all comments. Thank you for letting her know you visited!